Drugs are substances that affect the brain. People are drug-addicted when they become so dependent on certain drug(s) that they cannot let go of the drug (or has a very hard time doing so). Recovering from drug addiction is not something you do alone, professional help is needed. Drug rehab Spain offers this professional help. In this article, we share the types of drugs, the consequences- and symptoms of drug addiction and the treatment for drug addiction.
Types of drugs
Drugs are usually classified into categories which describe how they affect the brain:
- Stimulants: Give the feeling of having more energy and being more alert, for example cocaine and amphetamine (speed).
- Narcotics: Give an intoxication, are calming and relaxing. For example, heroin and other opiates, such as codeine and morphine.
- Mind-altering drugs (trip drugs): Change mood and perception. For example, LSD or hash.
Consequences of a drug addiction
Drug addiction is very harmful to your body. Drugs constrict your blood vessels and are a danger to your heart. When you smoke or snort drugs, your nose, throat and lungs are severely affected. Long-term drug addiction often also means physical deterioration, depression and paranoid behavior.
Even if at first you seem to be able to function fine in your work and social life: a drug addiction is always the beginning of a downward spiral. If you wait a long time before seeking help, it becomes increasingly difficult to escape from this spiral.
Symptoms of drug addiction
- You need more and more of the addictive drug to achieve the desired effect.
- Withdrawal symptoms occur, specific to that drug. Or you take similar drugs against these withdrawal symptoms.
- You take the drug in increasing amounts, over a longer period of time than you intended.
- You want to stop or cut down and have made several (unsuccessful) attempts to do so.
- You spend a lot of time getting the drug and/or using it.
- The increasing use of the drug costs you a lot of money and this causes financial problems.
- You give up or reduce important social activities, work and/or leisure activities in order to use drugs.
- Even though you know that the drug causes (worsening of) physical or psychological problems, you continue to use it.
If several of these symptoms occur simultaneously, it may indicate drug dependence. However, an online drugs test could help if you still aren’t sure if you or someone you care about is dealing with a drugs addiction.
Treatment: drug rehab Spain
Do you recognize yourself in the above signs and want help? Hacienda Paradiso offers drug addiction treatment. We are the world’s very first eco-rehab. Situated in Malaga, Spain, Hacienda Paradiso works with clients to end the cycle of addiction and behavioural problems in a completely eco-friendly atmosphere.
In contrast to the trend toward urbanisation and consumerism, many people are seeking an opportunity to get closer to nature, and Hacienda Paradiso is part of this movement. A stay at Hacienda Paradiso Luxury Rehab addresses all the benefits; physical, mental, and spiritual, that the environment can offer to those that develop a deep integral connection with nature.
Worlds Best Rehab awarded Hacienda Paradiso Most Affordable Luxury Rehab in Europe 2022 during this year’s European Rehab Treatment Awards. The award ceremony is held annually in Switzerland and recognises excellence in addiction treatment across Europe. Now in its ninth year, the European Rehab awards highlight the Best of the Best in European addiction treatment.